All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have a lot of clinical developments and new techniques emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser. Learn who will really do your treatment, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Select a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not understand can injure you.
4. Request information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your physician will not tell you, find another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not anticipate read the full info here to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly various result. The finest surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight next page of countless individuals around the globe.